How to DIY an Old Picture Frame with Book Pages
Welcome to the From the Heart Art Blog, where I share weekly inspiration to encourage & uplift you on your faith journey!
From stories behind the art I create to behind-the-scenes looks into the creation process to DIY tutorials and more... I post a new blog post every single Wednesday to share, uplift, & encourage you on your journey! Welcome to the blog & I can't wait to connect with you through this new blog space every single week. If you want to know when new blog posts go live, make sure to join our exclusive email newsletter community! Pssst... as part of my exclusive email subscriber community, you'll also get first looks into sales & specials, too! Click here & then scroll to the bottom to join my exclusive email newsletter community for weekly inspiration to grow in your relationship with God!
Giving NEW Life to Old Books
For as long as I can remember, I’ve always loved old books, especially old discarded hymn books. I’ve been collecting them for years. I love to give these old unused books new life and collage projects are the perfect way to give them a new purpose!
Do You Have Unused Picture Frames Lying Around?
Because I’ve been doing art shows for so long, I have a lot of leftover display frames. Most are dented and banged up and aren’t suitable to sell in their current condition.
But they do make a perfect surface for a collage project!
While I was planning the papers for the collage frame, I was torn between seasonal decor or doing a year round theme. I was excited about the idea of doing something for Fall or Christmas decor, but really wanted it to be versatile. As I was going back and forth trying to choose, I had a brainstorm for how I could do both!
Supplies You'll Need:
- Modge Podge
- Sponge brush
- Old book pages, or scrapbook pages
- Optional: canning jar lids & small decor pieces
- I used Modge Podge, a sponge brush, and old book pages to cover the frame. I applied the pages in random order.
- For the next layer, I selected a favorite hymn and strategically placed lines from the hymn around the frame. While that layer was drying, I started making the interchangeable pieces of decor.
- I used some left over canning jar lids as my base to build a Christmas piece to decorate the frame. I also created one for everyday decor using neutral pieces. I found so many great pieces in the scrapbook section and tiny tree section of Hobby Lobby.
- Once the collage layers were dry, I used a glue gun to add a magnet in the corner of the frame. The magnet was perfect to hold the decorative piece and made it easy to change out the decorative pieces per season.
I’m excited about the way they turned out & how easy it is to store them between use!
Give It a Try!
Do you have unused frames lying around? If not, try thrift stores or dollar stores. You can also do this project using scrapbook paper instead of old book pages. Use your imagination and experiment with different combinations! Have fun! I would love to see what you end up making!
Pam Coxwell | From the Heart Art